Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lady Gaga Born This Way

Track by Track breakdown of the Deluxe Edition of Lady Gaga's new album (out today) Born This Way:

Marry The Night:

Starts with an organ and Gaga's distinctive voice. Beat pulses in. The chorus is strong and the song is a great choice to lead us down into the rest of the Dance/Rock infused album.

Born This Way:

The new gay anthem. This song gets lots of hate and lots of love. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this track. Released as the first single. The message breaks through the failed music video. I get if Gaga, you are an artist, and you are weird and giving birth to this new race of peoples who don't see sexuality or race. I wish you had gone more straight forward with the video. Bring a motorcycle gang subversive spin on V for Vendetta and it would have been brilliant.

Government Hooker:

This is where you might start hearing some of major influence of German metal with the thudding drum beats on the album. Interesting track. Not sure it's a fav of mine on the album, but I can dance to it nonetheless. Gaga's drawn out vocals on "hoooooooooooooker" are so much fun!

Judas:

Love the video, wish her lyrics were a bit easier to understand on the track. Might have made it a bigger hit.


Americano:

I love the thumping traditional Italian pop inspired Americano. The 'Don't you try to catch me" refrain is some of the most fun on the album.

Hair:

Hmmm.. I think i read somewhere that Gaga was inspired to write this song by Willow Smith's brilliant 'Whip My Hair". Gaga equates her hair to her freedom of expression. My least favorite track on the album, in fact I will probably try to forget that it is there, and wont include it on my iPod.

Scheibe:

Gaga doesn't speak german, but she will if we like, and let me tell you: I LIKE! I like a whole heck of a lot. It reminds me of euro trance from the early aughts mixed with early 90's pop. Brilliant!

Bloody Mary:

If anything could be called a slow song on the album, this would be it. It still has the wall of sound that Gaga does. One of the most experimental songs on the album when it comes to mainstream pop music. It works for me.

Black Jesus - Amen Fashion:

Bonus track! The audacity of Gaga: "Jesus is the new black" An interesting track that seems like a bit of reworking of an early demo from Gaga. Fashion as a theme makes its appearance.

Bad Kids:

I wouldn't be too surprised if this song gets released as a single. It's fun and catchy.

Fashion of his Love:

Bonus track! I like the song. It's the song on the album that reminds me that Gaga is still 24 and is still a pop princess. Sounds like Debbie Gibson could have released this song in 1988.

Highway Unicorn (Road to Love):

A cacophony of noise that overwhelms me. I like portions of the song, but at times it seems like everything including the kitchen sink was thrown into this one.

Heavy Metal Lover:

I really adore this track. The "oooh oooh oooh" are hypnotic. She hits the nail on the head with this track in combining metal with dance.

Electric Chapel:

'Do, do do do" i dare you not to not sing and dance along to this one! "do do do do"

The Queen:

Bonus track! I can totally understand how this song is a bonus, it doesn't fully fit into the rest of the album. It sounds a bit juvenile in fact compared to the rest of the album.

You and I:

Nearing the end of the album, we get the fully fleshed out version of the song we've heard in concert for almost a year now. Containing elements of Queen's "We will Rock You", Gaga shows her brilliance at songwriting and that while she has created her career on the wall of sound, I want to hear more classic American Piano Pop/Rock from this woman.

The Edge of Glory:

Third single from the album. This song, if stripped down sounds right from 1989, I can hear Michael Bolton this. The pulsing drum beats and drawling guitar riff brings it to 2011. Gaga has never sounded better on a track, her vocals are powerful and mesmerizing. I am so right there on the edge with her. Amazing track to end the third album.

Overall- LOVE LOVE LOVE. I'll forget about hair and the queen. I can easily do without those two tracks. Love the combination of Dance and Metal with great influence of the last 80s and early 90s pop. 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment